Wednesday, September 23, 2009

What I'm thinking about this week...

Every season has its charms - asparagus and fresh peas in the spring, summer's tomatoes, but for anyone who really loves to cook it is Fall that stirs the imagination. I can't help it. The first chilly breeze that sweeps through my Clarksville neighborhood has me pulling out flour and yeast from the cupboard. Soup pans follow closely, and a trip to Fresh Plus for a bunch of leeks seems inevitable.

What a dilemma. When I saw strawberries and rhubarb at CM I immediately decided that pie had to be in this week's menu. Then I thought of gumbo with succulent shrimp, andouille and okra. Of course, you can't have gumbo without rice - a nice firm basmati, cooked just so. And sweet corn pancakes to pay a last homage to summer, with some smoky collard greens to greet the fall. The only thing missing is a sourdough boule. Something crusty and round that can be slathered with butter, and torn into chunks to dip in the gumbo. Ummm. That does sound good...

So where's the dilemma you ask? Well now, I just can't stop. What about a daube? Or silky butternut squash soup with a wild mushroom lasagna and individual chocolate souffles? Or, for that matter, how about baked macaroni and cheese, with gruyere and cheddar and a drift of buttery crumbs on top? Cheesecake Brownies?

It's a curse. I just want to make it all!

No comments:

Post a Comment