Monday, October 5, 2009

Busy, busy, busy...



Although I have been inspired to cook, Food Muse has not been inspired to write. Actually this is not strictly true, but the desire to write and the availability of time in which to do so has not coincided.
I am glad to report that I finally had coffee with my wonderful "foodie" friend Suzanna. In her case "foodie" is not just an adjective, it's her job title. Suzanna is the girl in the know at CM. Besides being funny, ironic, smart AND sassy, Suzanna knows food - pretty much anything you want to know that is cooking or product related, Suzanna knows. We chatted and drank coffee at Jo's on South Congress, and bonded over leaf lard. Seriously, how many other women could I possibly sit with and wax rhapsodic about the possibility of acquiring some fresh, locally sourced lard? OK. I actually know one more, my other smart/sassy/funny friend Amy, who also shares a similar love of pork, pancetta, and of course bacon. Amy once cracked me up by declaring that the people on "Survivor" were all morons because they picked such idiotic things to take with them. "Seriously," she said, "if I was going to be stuck on a desert island, and could only pick one thing to take with me, it would be a pig." She'd win too --- as soon as those other contestants smelled bacon sizzling over a fire, it would be all over.
Suzanna told me about a butcher shop, Dai Due, that delivers great products, all locally sourced. I looked at their website and signed up for the newsletter - I'm not sure how it works exactly, but I plan on ordering some of the fabulous charcuterie and planning a menu around it soon. Dai Due is better known as a Supper Club that meets at different venues and cooks a meal around a theme with - you guessed it - all local, organically produced food. It sounds amazing, and their menus have an earthy and fanciful quality that really captures the imagination. Here is a link to their website to check out.
So, back to cooking - last week I made a New Orleans inspired menu. It all started with the rhubarb and fresh strawberries at CM that insistently whispered pie in my ear, but then somehow my thoughts turned to gumbo. I have no idea how gumbo relates to strawberry rhubarb pie, but inevitably, one thing led to another. I also made a rustic, multi-grain loaf that threatened to take over the kitchen until I tamed it with a final rise and some acute slashing. The gumbo was paired with a fragrant basmati rice pilaf, meltingly tender collards simmered with bacon and a touch of apple cider vinegar, and fresh corn fritters. The fritters used the last of the sweet summer corn, and are a little like a savory pancake. The batter is a combination of fresh corn kernels that are pureed with buttermilk and then mixed with corn and regular flour, plus the addition of chopped green onion, diced Pannonia ham, and more fresh corn. I wish I could describe the aroma of the batter as it hits the buttered griddle and starts to bubble. The cakes, once turned, are golden and crisp with a moist steamy interior that is indescribable. My friend Jen said she liked them so much she might marry them. (I love Jen!)
*Gingerbread pancakes
*Rustic multigrain boule
*Gumbo with Shrimp and Andouille
*Basmati Rice Pilaf
*Collards with bacon
*Fresh corn fritters
*Strawberry Rhubarb Pie
Sadly I did not have enough time to take photos of all the dishes, but I did get a picture of the bread and the strawberry rhubarb pie.

No comments:

Post a Comment