Saturday, January 2, 2010

Happy New Year!

Well, marathon training has started in earnest. I managed to roll in to the Annex at Runtex Riverside promptly at 6:05 AM, just in time to hear Gilbert say: "Does anyone have any questions?" Needless to say this is definitely NOT the time for the newest and slowest kid on the block to raise their hand. Somehow I got through it, thanks to a very nice woman named Paula who took pity on me and ran with me for the duration. Can I just go ahead and say that I hate getting up at 5 AM? You know what I hate more than getting up at this ungodly hour??? Trying to run up Congress Avenue in the dark when it's 31 degrees outside, that's what!

I did manage to learn a few important things about group runner etiquette though. The standard greeting is not "Hey, how you doing" (my standard, running by, all purpose male/female greeting on the trail), but "Hi! What are you training for?"
Everyone is training for something. Most of this group seems to be Boston bound (one of the few marathons that people actually have to qualify for), which means that they are ALL faster than me. Not just like a little faster, but a humbling amount faster --- like their slowest runner would still be WAY faster than I can dream of. I keep assuring myself that it's OK, and most of the time I believe it. We ran 13.34 miles (more or less) and my dogs are barkin'.

No comments:

Post a Comment