Thursday, March 4, 2010

Welcome Spring!

After three days of sunshine my bones are finally thawing, and I am willing to be lulled into the belief that Spring may be on the way. This winter has reminded me of all the reasons why I moved to Austin in the first place. As it turns out I have not become any more fond of the cold and damp than when I first drove the UHaul across the Texas state line. And I have had more viruses/colds/and other nasty maladies than I can remember from in any other year.
So I REALLY hope that the weather has changed... I love the tender veggies and greens of spring, and I am ready to turn over a new leaf (so to speak :) One of the best ways to showcase these treasures is with a warm salad. I know, I know. Aren't salads supposed to be cold? If you believe that statement, then you too are a victim of the COLD and CRISP brigade, guilty of brainwashing countless innocents by depriving them of the knowledge of the true potential of salads. One of the best qualities of a salad is its versatility - it can indeed be cold and crisp, but it can also be served at room temperature, or slightly warm, utilizing the heat of some of the ingredients to wilt more acerbic greens and provide meltingly tender canvas for its other ingredients. Such is the case of the salad pictured above. This is called a "composed salad" (as opposed to a tossed salad, where all the ingredients are - you guessed it - tossed together). It's actually very easy to make, and just requires a small amount of advance preparation. Be warned though, this will not keep well and so you should only make as much as you will finish at one time.

*Warm beet salad with new potatoes and tender greens
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Scrub beets and cut off root and bottom ends. Place beets in foil, drizzle with a little oil if you like, then close the packet making sure that it is well sealed. ***If you are using different types of beets, i.e. red and yellow, make separate packets for each. The cooking time will depend on the size of the beets - medium size beets should take about 40 - 45 minutes. When you can pierce them easily with the tip of a paring knife they are done. Allow beets to cool until you can handle them easily, then peel.
2. Cook eggs. Place 4 eggs in a saucepan and cover by an inch with cold water. As soon as the water reaches a boil turn off the heat, then cover and allow to stand for 10 minutes. Shell the eggs and set aside.
3. Find the prettiest new potatoes that you can (I like fingerlings and the little red potatoes), and cook them in salted water for 10-15 minutes. You want them tender but not falling apart.

Assembly: Place greens on a pretty platter - I like arugula and torn dandelion greens, but for kids I would just use baby spinach which has a much milder flavor. Arrange sliced beets, halved or quartered new potatoes, and eggs over the greens. Drizzle with your favorite vinaigrette, or make a quick emulsion with a bit of vinegar, grainy mustard, and olive oil. Sprinkle with salt, fresh ground pepper, and enjoy a taste of spring.

Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment