Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Make this Now!

Today I am going to give you a recipe for Carrot Ginger Soup. This is hands-down the tastiest, easiest, most nutritious soup that you can make with practically no effort, and I guarantee that you and your kids will both love it. If you have no kids try it out on your pets, I'm sure they'll love it too.

Carrot Ginger Soup
2 lbs. organic carrots, peeled
1 large sweet onion or 2 smaller yellow onions
2 inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled
4 Tbsp. butter

Melt butter in a large pot. Add roughly chopped onion to the butter and sweat over medium heat until translucent. Meanwhile, chop carrots into 1 to 2 inch pieces, then add to the pot along with the ginger and about 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt. (To use fresh ginger just break off a piece about the size you want to use, peel the thin skin from the exterior with a vegetable peeler, then cut into quarter inch rounds.)

Turn the heat to low, cover the pot, then set a timer for 15 minutes and let the vegetables sweat. (Check occasionally. If your heat is low, the carrots and onion will be releasing juices and smelling heavenly.) After 15 minutes, add about 2 quarts filtered water to your pot. Bring to a boil, then turn down the heat and simmer for about an hour to an hour and a half.

Puree the soup using an immersion blender, or in batches using a blender or food processor. Adjust the salt, and add 1 cup milk (or more) to bring it to the desired consistency.
VARIATIONS - You can make the soup with olive oil instead of butter, and adjust the consistency with broth instead of milk. I usually do this when I am making the soup for myself. In this case use about 3 TBSP olive oil at the beginning, then adjust consistency with a can of low sodium chicken broth at the end.

Yum! I decided yesterday that I needed to make a big batch to have in the fridge. I had oral surgery on Monday, and after suffering through a day and a half of commercially prepared cream-of-something soup I took out the soup pot and decided to remedy the situation. I still look like a chipmunk, but at least now I look like a happy chipmunk.

No comments:

Post a Comment