Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Vegetable pot pie.


OK, this may actually be the best thing that I have ever made. Seriously. And as usual, it's the result of a fluke. This leviathan of the pastry world is loosely based on an Ina Garten (a.k.a. The Barefoot Contessa) recipe for chicken pot pie. But when I say "loosely based", what I actually mean is "...well, she has fennel in the recipe, but I don't want fennel and asparagus in my pot pie, so I'll just have leeks and peas instead." And so on through most of the ingredients, until I basically ended up with what I want in my pot pie, which as it turns out is celery root, butternut squash, leeks, peas, and thyme. Plus assorted other vegetables, aromatics, and a LOT of pie pastry rolled over a gigantic oval casserole. I'm not even sure how I managed to get it on there without breaking, and I'm really not sure that I can do it again. But for one glorious moment as it emerged burnished and golden from the oven, I experienced pot pie nirvana --- enveloped by heady aromas and warmth I felt like a child in a mother's arms. I guess that's why they call it comfort food.
*Note: I LOVE Ina Garten. Everything she makes is not only beautiful and tasty, it is actually something that you want to eat - like brownie pudding, what a good idea! Speaking of pot pies, I've never made this (and probably never will given the cost of lobster) but the IDEA of lobster pot pie, another recipe that she has done, is so immensely appealing that I find myself smiling just thinking of it. She makes elegant food that is luxurious and homey, and immensely appealing. Bill and Ione always watch the "Contessa" on Saturdays during lunch, and as my 6-year-old says, "if Ina invites us for dinner, I'm going!"
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. A lobster pot pie sounds divine! I love pot pies, even the cheapo frozen Mortons ones. As a little kid my Mom often served them to me and my sisters when she and my Dad were going out for dinner.

    ReplyDelete